Location: Victor Harbor, South Australia
Adare is located in 75kms South of Adelaide in Victor Harbor; South Australia's premier coastal town.
According to the local Raminjeri Aboriginal group's dreaming, Adare was originally known as "Mootaparinga Farm". "Mootaparinga" meaning "murky water", being the Aboriginal name for that part of the river.
The Adare site was bought by Governor Hindmarsh's family in 1837. The original building was a cottage (now Adare offices) before the Cudmore family bought it in 1891 and made extensive additions which resulted in an impressive layout including 19 rooms, a cellar, tower, balcony and three turrets.
Much of the materials used in the renovation were shipped from England. The Ballroom ceiling features an etched glass skylight, with all but one of the original lead light windows with their hand-painted inserts still in place, and some of the decorative wallpaper ceilings also remain.
There was originally a canon in the drive, and the stylish garden included an ornamental fountain, which partly still remains. Mr Cudmore used the tower room as a museum for his many collections, and, some of Miss Cudmore's hand painted floral designs on the door panels can still be seen.
The house now as it stands was completed in 1893 and named "Adare" after the Cudmore family's home in Ireland. Since 1954, Adare has been owned by the Uniting Church in Australia (formally the Methodist Church), being used for group camps, and recently, adding weddings to fully utilise this spectacular piece of history.
The house is a well known local landmark and an architecturally significant heritage building.
The grounds have been converted into a quiet boutique caravan park, providing many shady, flat, powered sites for guests to choose from.
Adare-Activities-2016.pdf (148.6 kb PDF)
Adare-Floor-Plan-Adare-House.pdf (540.24 kb PDF)
Adare-Floor-Plan-Bethany-House.pdf (513.85 kb PDF)
Adare-Leaders'-Handbook.pdf (79.5 kb PDF)
Adare-Site-Plan.pdf (2.82 mb PDF)
UVSA-Ts&Cs-Adare&Nunyara-2015.pdf (84.6 kb PDF)